This is very easy recipe I got from Crazy John Christensen in St. George, Utah that we used during a home show.
- 1/2 lb diced bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion (or onion variety of your choice)
- 5 lb of sliced potatoes, skin on or off (or an amount that will nearly fill the oven being used)
- Garlic minced (fresh or dry)
- Add bacon to Dutch oven and fry.
- Once the bacon starts to get crispy add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add potatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and finish off with a smattering of garlic.
- Give it all a real good stir.
- Over a medium heat and stirring occasionally this should be ready in 30 - 40 minutes.
- Once the steam starts coming out from under the lid you'll know it's ready to serve up.
We sliced the potatoes the night before and stored them in a bucket covered with water and sealed with a lid. If you have a large crew that might require a 14 deep oven you will need to add to the amount of ingredients appropriately. You will also need to increase the cooking time to 45 - 60 minutes. In one day we went through 4 full pots of these 'taters using a 14 deep Dutch oven.